For the last couple of months I have been working with Nottingham singer-songwriter Nina Smith to produce a behind the scenes documentary film on her taking a new step in her career.
We’ve been filming the process of her start up with a new band from the first rehearsal, to a studio day recording new songs to finally a performance at the Royal Concert Hall.
Tuesday was the last day/night of filming and it was a great way to end it too. It started with myself and my friends Rob and Luke, (who came to help film) arriving at the Royal Concert Hall at 12pm to begin filming for the day.
First we filmed Nina doing soundcheck with the band, followed by pizza in her dressing room, then an interview for the documentary and finally the big performance.
It was a really fun day (it always is with Nina), a lot of antics captured and the performance was great. I think we captured the day quite well and hope it comes across in the finished film.
Thanks to my friends Rob Johnston, Luke James and Matt Mahjouri for coming and lending a hand!
Above is a little parkour/lifestyle edit I made showing a summary of the antics that happened over Summer this year. Putting together the best bits of parkour/free running along with some more personal clips I’ve shot over the season too. Just to remember the good times.
Thanks to everyone for making this Summer super fun!
I recently decided to invest in a Glidecam, which is a piece of kit I’ve had my eye on for over a year now. I’m really excited to start using it for projects when I get the hang of balancing and controlling it properly.
I also decided to purchase a polo shirt with an embroidery of my logo and website address on it to wear as uniform when filming/shooting.
I decided a few months ago that I wanted a proper logo symbol for myself, I started off with a simple signature style design but then I thought “Everyone has a signature logos these days!”
I wanted something a bit more original and unique, so to keep a long story short I ended up drawing this hexagon style shape and decided to morph the letters to the shape.
After finishing the first sketch I sent it to a couple of people for feedback including one of my tutors from university.
The main criticism I got was that they thought the J did not look like a J, which I agreed with so in the second sketch I made the J a lot more simpler making it clearly a J.
Then I took a picture of it using my phone and drew it up in Illustrator (my first time using Illustrator too) mainly using the pen tool with the strokes palette. Thanks to TastyTuts for this very helpful tutorial.
Next: I plan to use this logo for everything - on business cards, stickers, possibly watermarks and anything else I need to brand or personalise.
I would be interested in hearing people’s thoughts on it so let me know what you think.
I had a little shoot with Kath in Sheffield on Thursday in the scorching heat that Britain is recently having (no complaints). It’s been a while since I’ve done a photo shoot, the last one I did was in January, so it was nice to shoot some new portraits.
Last night I helped film at the Future Sound of Nottingham competition final for Nusic, was a really fun night with some great music from the bands. Well done to The Gorgeous Chans for winning, looking forward to hopefully filming them again at Splendour festival this month.
I didn’t really have time to get any decent images but here are a couple of snaps I managed to get.